Friday, August 21, 2009

How necessary are certain Norton "features"?

Every time I try to open a Excel or Word file on my computer (a Dell desktop running Windows XP), Norton runs a virus scan on the file. This is driving me crazy because for my job, I must be opening and closing files constantly. Taking up to a full minute or more to scan a file before even thinking about opening it is becoming beyond just "inconvenient".



In the Norton control panel, "Auto-Protect" is turned on. When I click on the link to find out more information about what that is, I'm told one of the features is:



"Keeps your system safe at all times by checking for viruses every time that you use software programs on your computer, insert floppy disks or other removable media, and modify or access documents"



Is this even necessary? I was raised as a Mac user, and on my Mac, I wouldn't hesitate about turning this "feature" off. However, since I'm on a windows machine, I am hesitant to turn anything off. Is this level of protection really necessary?



How necessary are certain Norton "features"?anti virus scan



Yes, the 'Check MS Office documents' feature is totally unnecessary. Turn off "MS Office" in the Norton options! MS Office has its own checking and there is absolutely no need to check documents which you yourself created! Don't turn off Autoprotect altogether, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment